Thursday, July 19, 2018

Those Who Can, Teach

This past Saturday I attended a funeral for the director of an after school drama program I belonged to while I was in middle school. This was a program near and dear to my heart: a shining beacon in the insecure and closeted time in my life that I tried to block out. At 4 pm every Monday, I got to go to a place where I didn't have to be the smartest, or the most sociable, or even the best singer, dancer, or actor. It was a necessary creative outlet and, to be frank, a safe haven from own head.

This wasn't some exclusive program for serious aspiring actors. It was just recreational, an after school program that met only once a week that was more built like an adult enrichment class where the curriculum was built around our personalities. Even so, we always ended up with a great product at the end of the eight to ten week period.

I can't even imagine how many students she affected in my town since the seventies when she started the program, but the service was one indicator. Older students who were taught directly by her as well as some of us from the younger generations and other teachers gathered to speak and sing. Her friends and family talked about how she never forgot a birthday, brought her students to ice cream after performances, provided them the same outlet.

I didn't feel sad at the end: I felt inspired. I realized that I want to make people feel as special as my drama director made us feel. It confirmed what I've known for a long time -- teaching needs to be a part of my life, whether I am a professor, tutoring math, or helping queer kids find their own outlet through art on the weekends. Even in high school marching band, my favorite part about being section leader (and arguably the only good part) was teaching the incoming freshmen. It's not easy -- as I'm sure it was difficult for the adults in my drama program to wrangle several middle school girls -- but it's a fundamental part of who I am.

So when all is said and done, thanks to the teachers who inspired me. I hope I get the opportunity to tell all of you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment