Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Intern Journal: Thoughts from the Copy Room

Last month I started my first internship at a huge international consulting firm. I'm in the infrastructure line and technically am supposed to be working under a construction manager, but since it's the middle of the day and I'm typing up this blog post from an office computer, it's obvious this isn't really the case.

I'm a rising third year Civil Engineering major, out of what will probably be five years as is the norm in my program, so I've barely scratched the surface of my core classes. Maybe I don't have the transferable skills yet, and it's possible nobody really has time to train me, but I've been disappointed to find that there hasn't been much for me to do.

In the meantime, I've been humoring myself on personal projects, like reviving the Out in STEM at my school, and falling into the rabbit hole of the internet in researching graduate programs and companies, trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. Civil engineering is so broad, and sometimes it feels like whenever I get closer to deciding what I want to focus on, the more information comes in and the less sure I am. I've even been thinking about ditching the professional engineer path and doing sustainable research in a university setting (which I may do a post about later).

I'm starting this blog for something to do, but also as a personal outlet and a place for me to write about things I find interesting. I hope to write some articles more targeted on the technical side, some about LGBTQ+ issues, and some about my experiences combining the two. This will be a personal project to utilize my extensive downtime in the office... but hopefully I get more work soon. I did spend the whole morning gaining my intern credentials in the copy room.

No comments:

Post a Comment